Effingham County's Only Board-Certified Specialist
In Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Effingham County’s only Board Certified Specialist in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Call today for affordable options for reliable dental care.
TMJ stands for temporomandibular joint, which is the name for each joint (right and left) that connects your lower jaw to your skull. Since some types of TMJ problems can lead to more serious conditions, early detection and treatment are important.
Learn what you need to know about TMJ
TMJ disorders are a family of problems related to your jaw joint, which lies just in front of your ear canal. Symptoms like pain or a "clicking" sound occur when the joints of the jaw and the chewing muscles (muscles of masticulation) do not work together correctly.
Do You Have A TMJ Disorder?
• Are you aware of grinding or clenching your teeth?
• Do you wake up with sore, stiff muscles around your jaws?
• Do you have frequent headaches or neck aches?
• Does the pain get worse when you clench your teeth?
• Does stress make your clenching and pain worse?
• Does your jaw click, pop, grate, catch, or lock when you open your mouth?
• Is it difficult or painful to open your mouth, eat, or yawn?
• Have you ever injured your neck, head, or jaws?
• Have you had problems (such as arthritis) with other joints?
• Do you have teeth that no longer touch when you bite?
• Do your teeth meet differently from time to time?
• Is it hard to use your front teeth to bite or tear food?
• Are your teeth sensitive, loose, broken or worn?
The more times you answered "yes," the more likely it is that you have a TMJ disorder.
Get the Care You Need!
Specialty Board Certfied:
• Oral Surgery
• Orthognathic Surgery
• Maxillofacial Surgery
• TMJ Surgery
Don't Let Your Fear Stop You From Getting Relief!
Ask about our anesthesia options.
Two Convenient Locations
Effingham - Mt. Vernon
Dr.Swanson has advanced training in diagnosis and treatment of TMJ dysfunction, Arthroscopy, Arthroplasty, TMJ reconstruction and Total Joint Replacement.
Dr. Swanson is the only surgeon in the area performing arthroscopic and open joint TMJ surgery